A tasty spicy Algerian sauce that is suitable for many different dishes. Delicious as a spicy seasoning with a salad, hamburger, BBQ, various meat dishes or to dip your fries in.
If you want the sauce to be completely homemade, use homemade mayonnaise as a base. If you make the Algerian sauce with ready-made mayonnaise, you only need to add the ingredients mentioned in the last three steps. You use rapeseed oil to make the mayonnaise because it does not add its own flavor to the dish.
Voor de mayonaise:
- Make sure to use canola oil as it will not add any flavor to the dish.
- Put two egg yolks in a tall pitcher or measuring cup
- Sprinkle some salt over it and add the mustard
- Then add the two tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar
- And finally the rapeseed oil and mix this with a stick blender to a creamy mayonnaise
- Then add two tsp of water to color the mayonnaise white
To make the spicy Algerian sauce:
- Now you have the base ready and can add the tomato puree, chopped spring onions, garlic powder, cumin powder.
- Mix this one more time with the stick blender to a nice sauce
- Now add the harissa and finely chopped parsley and mix well (possibly again with the hand blender)
Enjoy your dinner
Although this fresh, completely homemade Algerian sauce does not contain any preservatives or other artificial additives, you can keep it in the fridge for one to two weeks. Of course, this sauce is much tastier than the one from the supermarket. For someone who likes a spicy sauce, the Algerian sauce can certainly not be missed during a meal.