Spice mixes in India are called Garam Masala, which means "spicy spices. There may be as many varieties of Garam Masala as there are families; each family has its own recipe. Of course, we can't list all of them here, so here's the most common recipe of the Garam Massala used in the curries we eat in the west.
- First toast each ingredient separately (except the nutmeg) in a dry pan.
- Shake the pan so that the seeds and spices release their scent
- To toast the ingredients, use one or more frying pans with a thick bottom
- As soon as the scents are released, immediately place the herbs on a cold plate
- After they have been roasted and cooled, put all the herbs and spices in a mortar and grind them very fine
- Now grate the whole nutmeg and mix it with the rest of the spices.
Enjoy your dinner
With this spice mix you will certainly bring the taste of India into your home. Perfect for making a delicious curry, sauces or marinade. Don't you need the Garam Massala right away? Then put them in a well-sealable jar and store it in a dark and dry place. In this way the Garam Massala can be kept for at least a year without loss of smell or taste.
- 1/4 cup Coriander seeds (4 tablespoons)
- 2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Green cardamom
- 1 tsp Whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 Bay leaves