This dish is recommended, and perhaps only suitable, for the real lover of spicy food. Although the Kaas Buldak is one of our favorite dishes, it is wise for the Western eater to drink a glass of milk with it. This very spicy Korean dish is not called 'fire meat' for nothing, and we give it a rating of 5 out of 5 peppers, where even the generous layer of cheese cannot disguise the spiciness.
- In a large bowl, mix the Gochugaru with the Gochujang, Ketjap Manis, oil, black pepper, rice syrup or honey, garlic and ginger to form a nice paste
- Add the chicken pieces to this and mix / marinate them well
- Let the chicken rest for at least 30 minutes, but preferably another 2 hours or overnight, in the fridge.
- The longer, the more intense the taste will be
In the pan and in the oven
- Place the marinated chicken in a heavy-bottomed pan (e.g. cast iron or skillet)
- Use the water to rinse the bowl and add it to the chicken so no spices are lost
- Now fry the chicken for 10 minutes, stirring constantly so that it does not burn
- Then put a lid on the pan and let the chicken simmer for another 10 minutes, and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C Remove the lid from the pan and pour the chicken into a warm baking dish so that the chicken does not cool down too much.
- If you use a pan that can go in the oven, you can leave the chicken in the pan
- Divide the mozzarella pieces over the chicken spice mixture and put it in the oven
- When the cheese is completely melted and has some brown spots, the dish is ready
- Finish the dish by sprinkling the finely chopped spring onions over it
Enjoy your dinner
The Cheese Buldak is perfect to combine with rice or noodles and a Korean Sukju Namul (without peppers) or another fresh cucumber salad for refreshment. Your table guests will be amazed by the spicy taste sensation that this dish brings.
- 1 kg Chicken fillet in small pieces
- 70 g Gochugaru powder (chili powder)
- 2 to 3 tbsp Gochujang paste 1 tbsp Ketjap Manis
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil or wok oil
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 113 g Rice syrup
- 6 Large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 500 g Mozzarella cheese in pieces
- 1 Spring onion, finely chopped
- 50ml Water