Spicy Chicken Gyros
Gyros has been a well-known Greek dish for years, usually made from mutton, goat or beef. This Spicy Chicken Gyros is a very tasty variant. The delicious combination of herbs, spices and chili peppers will surprise you.
- Make the 'mini' pita breads according to the recipe and let them cool
- Cut the chicken into very thin strips and place in a bowl
- Add a good splash of olive oil to the chicken and stir in the homemade Gyros spice mix
- Add the juice of half a lemon for an extra fresh version
- Mix everything together very well and place the chicken covered in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) so that the herbs are released and mixed well
- Meanwhile, prepare the Greek Tzatziki according to the recipe and store it covered in the fridge
In the pan or in the oven
- Remove the Gyros from the refrigerator and place a heavy-bottomed pan or wok with some oil on the fire
- When the oil is hot enough, lower the gyros into the pan and stir-fry the chicken for about 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring to prevent the chicken from burning
Enjoy your dinner
Put a few leaves of lettuce on a plate and scoop a big shovel of your just made warm Gyros on top. Put a big dollop of Tzatziki next to it and put two or three pita breads. Serve with tomato slices and possibly some cucumber slices.